All times are UTC + 1 hour

General discussion » scale?         
 Post subject: scale?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:05 pm 
got my Thunderlord in the week - lovely model, thanks Felix, may be a while of looking at it before a brush hits it mind - and he's a big bugger.... the Berserker was a smidge taller than the GW Dwarf Lord resting on his axe (you know the one) which was ok, but the Thunderlord is taller than the Berzerker.... I know these are character models and so should stand out a bit, but that's quite a bit of scale creep from the Berzerker to the Thunderlord

GW dwarf 21mm to eye level
Berzerker 22mm to eye level
Thunderlord 24mm to eye level

how tall are the human/elf ones?

just wondering how compatible these will all be with other fantasy figures as the name Heroes for your Armies would suggest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:29 pm 
Yes, the Thunderlord is a bit bigger than the berserker. Next dwarf wont be bigger I swear! :) I think the berserker size is perfect for a dwarf.
If I remember correctly the GW Dwarf lord was a bit on the small side however compared to the other GW dwarf lords.

The barbarian is a big fella (32mm to the eyes), but he's a "Conanish" barbarian! Appart from him being a big fella I believe (from my experience) all models are perfectly compatible with other fantasy figfures.

Those of you who use them for wargaming how do you think they fit in your armies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:15 am 
Gaelion wrote:
Those of you who use them for wargaming how do you think they fit in your armies?

The orc heros are absolutely perfect for this purpose, they fit in with my black orcs as if they were of GW-make, and the only thing that is actually a nuisance is the billowing cloak of the orc hero. It makes it impossible for him to rank him up with a miniature behind him, but I mostly just place an empty 25 mm base behind him so that's no problem. The Shaman miniature is great and captures the spirit really well, and ranks up fine as well.

But then again, I'm talking about the best orc miniatures ever made. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:49 pm 
My dwarf berserker fits cool. He's maybe from 1 to 1'5mm taller than the rest of the slayers, but hell, he's the officer!!. I'll tell you when the Thunderlord be available again (to buy it) if he fits or not with my gunners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:28 pm 
That was something important to know Gaelion, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:38 am 
I intend on grabbing several of these models for my Dogs of War project I have going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:45 am 
Thanks tank_santa,
I am really glad you like them for your army.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:29 am 
I find the scale to be perfect really and the Thunderlord fits in nicely with my army, but it depends on your perspective.

GW models are almost clone like in their size, especially the plastic kits. While this is unrealistic to say the least it means that models from other companies can look out of place due to size differences.

The best way to get around this is to make sure all RnF from a unit come from the same company (even if the sizes are a match the style is often slightly different). Two units from different companies still look great, they only look odd if you mix the companies within a single unit.

Obviously you aren't making an entire unit from AoW miniatures, but characters are SUPPOSED to stand out within a unit, and not just because of the paint job either.

In my mind the Dwarfs actually matter the least, when playing warhammer the Berserker would be a lone Dragon Slayer and the Thunderlord would be a Master Engineer standing around a warmachine, so they wouldn't be ranked up next to other minis, so no problem.

The Orcs are no problem either as powerful Orcs and Gobbos are meant to be large.

Besides the Thunderlord, the two orcs and the skinny goblin with the axe are some of my favourite minis of all time. I would be throwing out the GW stuff for not ranking up with these models rather than the other way around.

Post subject: Re: scale?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:07 pm 
Here are a couple of scale comparison pics of the Barbarian Hero next to a couple of "true" 28mm scale minis (from Hasslefree and Mantic) -

http://noquarterbattles.blogspot.co.uk/ ... tures.html

From the pics, it is obvious that he fits in perfectly, even if he is a "big fella", he is only about a head taller (and more muscular) than an average sized person. As he is supposed to be a "Conan-ish" barbarian, he actually does not just fit in, he fits the bill perfectly (as Conan is supposed to be 6'5" and would tower over the average individual)

And these are "true" 28mm (so smaller than the "heroic" 28mm scale of GW) so if he can fit in with these, he should surely fit in with the larger "heroic" scale minis as well