All times are UTC + 1 hour

General discussion » Wood Elf Hero         
 Post subject: Wood Elf Hero
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:06 am 
AoW overseer
From the deep forests of the Emerald Mountains comes a new hero, a Wood Elf.
The miniature has been sculpted by Edgar Ramos, based on conceptual art by Daniel DĂ­az Heredia and Wayne England. Wayne is also the author of the color illustration for the blister card.

The blister comes with two different heads, to assemble the miniature with or without hood.

This release will be available through retailers and at our online shop imminently.

Really hope you like it!

Post subject: Re: Wood Elf Hero
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:08 am 
Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike her! :drool: :drool:
I would go as far to say she is one of your finest models yet!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:10 am 
Great to see another avatar.
Some things i like, some other don´t cover my personel ideas of a wood elf.
First, the cape is wonderful, with nice details like the leafs at the back.
The face with cape is impressive,
the other head is too small on the picture to see any details.
So, great to have some bitz to decide how the mini will look like.
The armour is good, maybe quite massive for a wood elf,
but this I would decide if I see the mini in my hands.
The bow is quite too massive, but i also have to admit,
that I don´t know what is possible with the casting of metal.

My biggest problem with the mini is the position:
I would have liked a much more stealthy position.
For me, a wood elf never would stand that static around with a "come here and get some" attitude.
I doesn´t have to be a total sneaky assassin position, but defintly a more moving light feeted postition.
A wood elf knows that a open 1vs1 fight won´t work that good for him,
so I think a wood elf (even in an arena) will always be in movement and ready to dodge anything.
This critics may sound hard, but most of the other avatars had a very moveless pose,
so I had some hopes, that maybe it would be different with the wood elf mini.
I hope I wasn´t too hard to Mr Ramos, maybe I also had too concrete ideas how a wood elf has to look like.
Anyway, I am still looking forward to see it in my Game store.
The last avatar I didn´t buy, but I think the elf is still a good sculpure
and will find its way in my collection.
Ciao
The Count

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:56 pm 
The Count wrote:
Great to see another avatar.
Some things i like, some other don´t cover my personel ideas of a wood elf.
First, the cape is wonderful, with nice details like the leafs at the back.
The face with cape is impressive,
the other head is too small on the picture to see any details.
So, great to have some bitz to decide how the mini will look like.
The armour is good, maybe quite massive for a wood elf,
but this I would decide if I see the mini in my hands.
The bow is quite too massive, but i also have to admit,
that I don´t know what is possible with the casting of metal.

My biggest problem with the mini is the position:
I would have liked a much more stealthy position.
For me, a wood elf never would stand that static around with a "come here and get some" attitude.
I doesn´t have to be a total sneaky assassin position, but defintly a more moving light feeted postition.
A wood elf knows that a open 1vs1 fight won´t work that good for him,
so I think a wood elf (even in an arena) will always be in movement and ready to dodge anything.
This critics may sound hard, but most of the other avatars had a very moveless pose,
so I had some hopes, that maybe it would be different with the wood elf mini.
I hope I wasn´t too hard to Mr Ramos, maybe I also had too concrete ideas how a wood elf has to look like.
Anyway, I am still looking forward to see it in my Game store.
The last avatar I didn´t buy, but I think the elf is still a good sculpure
and will find its way in my collection.
Ciao
The Count

I see your point, the armor indeed covers a lot of areas for a wood elf, but then again she is not necessarily a Ranger/Waywatcher kind of wood elf, and wood elf nobles definitely wear armor, and I would not go as far as to call that massive. Knees and joints are free, and I think the torso is more leather then metal. I have no problems with the bow, it looks great. Wood Elves are no savages, they do process metal.
As for the position, mhm yeah, it is a rather bold stance, not fluent-like-a-leaf-in-the-wind or something like that. The GW waywatcher noble imho incorporates that perfectly. But again, I see her more as a noble, and I can very well imagine her lifting her bow and shooting an arrow into an Orc's eye 200 feet away. On the contrary, I very much like the pose, the gentle curvature of her body, leaning slightly back, combined with the exquisite hooded head, it's mysterious alright!

But I have a new little problem myself now, I just realized the nice arrow is actually a needle and not included! That is really sad, I was really happy that you were able to create a wonderful wood elf miniature who finally has not an "empty" bow, like 99% of all bow-and-arrow miniatures have. I guess that is casting-related? But you could have included a casted arrow as an accessory...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:19 pm 
I'm a long time fan of wood elves, and this one is quite unique. I'll be getting one. :thumright:

Like the count said, it's difficult to see the details on the alternate head. I'll need to decide whether to use it or not when I get my hands on the model and get a closer look.

The armor is slightly surprising. Even if the model isn't especially bulky, the armor makes it look that way. I am feeling a little misled by the arrow. I'll definitely need to get a needle and some putty and make an arrow for my own model. It just looks too good.

I am really quite happy with this design.

Thanks Dan, Edgar, & Wayne! Thank you Felix!

P.S. If any posters get a picture of this model next to another model for size comparison, could they post it here?

On the other hand, perhaps it's ok that the arrow isn't included. On the model pictured beneath, the spear is thin enough that it bends very easily. However, it's still too thick to make a decent arrow. Go any thinner than this, and the model might just fall apart. Assuming the casting material (pewter) is the same, I'd rather add my own arrow with something more sturdy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:32 pm 
I will be brief. I like it. :cheers:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:00 pm 
Hurray! Something new! And its not a Dwarf.
Sometimes i like static poses.
Brilliant and beautiful Miniature. A must have for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:33 am 
I like it but don't love it, probably because I'm stuck with the idea that wood elves don't wear that much armour. On the other hand I do believe that wood elves follow a too strict stereotype and innovation is always welcome.

Love the expression on the face of the hood-free head (at least what I can make of it), and maybe after I'm done with the Dwarf Noble, Bör and the Lord I'll think about getting it.

Good work AoW.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:25 am 
She's gorgeous :thumright:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:06 am 
So, there are exactly two minis which I don't like. The Barbarian Hero and this Woodelf.

Whats my problem there? The bow looks too big, there is too much armour, the hair looks special, the face not really elvish (look at your other elf minis and compare a little), the posing isn't the best. She could be more in move, or more stealthy...

As a long time Woodelve player I am not impressed...sad but true.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:15 pm 
I like it, and I hear my brother loves it. The cloak is excellent in every way, and the same goes for the hooded head and the bow. The armour and equipment is very good and detailed just to my taste, although I guess many others find it too cluttered with detail. In the future, Edgar Ramos might want to think about "less is more". I don't like the make up on the paintjob, however. Celtic swirls are okay on Wood Elves, but not lipstick! That looks too urban.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:39 am 
Before people get too excited I'd like to point at the small print. Which says the arrow is not included.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:11 am 
Balgin wrote:
Before people get too excited I'd like to point at the small print. Which says the arrow is not included.

Already mentioned. I still like her though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:33 am 
I dont really agree with all this talk about "too much armor". It is obviously painted to be a type of hardened leather armor and for a leader going into combat seems totally reasonable. I would be more disapointed if it were your typical "naked" elf dancing around pretending her oak leaf thong was going to protect her. I love the sculpt. As for the massive bow, well if she is a hero she needs a strong bow. I imagine the thick limbs provide greater resistance on the draw, needed as it is a short bow and not a long bow. This in turn lends more power to the arrow. Once again it seems very reasonable in my mind. I still love the sculpt.

Before I was brief, now I guess I have pulled out a box and stood upon it. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:05 am 
Vanyon wrote:
I dont really agree with all this talk about "too much armor". It is obviously painted to be a type of hardened leather armor and for a leader going into combat seems totally reasonable. I would be more disapointed if it were your typical "naked" elf dancing around pretending her oak leaf thong was going to protect her. I love the sculpt. As for the massive bow, well if she is a hero she needs a strong bow. I imagine the thick limbs provide greater resistance on the draw, needed as it is a short bow and not a long bow. This in turn lends more power to the arrow. Once again it seems very reasonable in my mind. I still love the sculpt.

Before I was brief, now I guess I have pulled out a box and stood upon it. 8)

Hear, Hear!